Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beowulf 1-900

In the past, attempting to understand Beowulf was merely that, an attempt. I despised the idea of reading it. I admit it may have just been projections from my Jr. High experience, but reading it this time shed new light. I really enjoyed it. I definitely saw the J.R. Tolken inspired side of it. Herot, resembling a castle, human warriors, dangerous creatures, and a seemingly distant land were all captivating.
It amazes me that even as far back as this original document was written, complex fictional stories were told. Granted it is a poem, it still tells a very imaginative story. I was also impressed with the writers ability to breed strong, different emotions through the writing style itself. In the beginning when King Shild was being revered, the style seemed, to me, to be very bold and proud, but when he died and the people were sending him off with gold and treasures, the style turned to a more subtle use of words. Maybe I just got emotionally involved when the story changed from a positive moment to a negative, but I think otherwise. The pattern continued through all 900 lines. I owe far more credit to writers in this time than I have given. Again, very impressive.
For the record, so I don't get hanged later, I read through a more simple version in the school library first and then read the real stuff. It really helped give me a better understanding when I went through the tough version. If you care to spend the time, it's worth it.

7 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to enjoy this! Man, I am struggling to understand (let alone enjoy) this piece. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks tomorrow. Maybe a little perspective is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Jacob, i really thought if someone could understand this kind of text you most certainly would! I am in the same boat, i am finding the reading of this text difficult to follow. I read the beginning section to possibly make the reading less difficult, and well i failed. I hope tomorrow we are able to talk about what is being said here.

    Jake... I definitely admire your ability to read this poem with an open mind, i think for the most part i am a little critical about poetry from earlier time periods, hence my dislike for shakespeare. But i am hoping, as you have achieved, that i can become more aware and appreciate the style and passion in the writing from previous time periods.

    See you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm having a hard time following the major events of the text, but I hate not understanding every detail of the dialogue and such. My biggest complaint is that I just don't enjoy the reading. It's like pulling teeth for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I remembered this book being my favorite of all the books I read in High School. Im starting to think that I read a much more modern text version of the story. The easiest way for me to read this is to, read the summary and then find a flow or groove so to speak in the text. I have been reading it with rhythm (almost a bounce), it makes it flow a lot easier and I can comprehend better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a strange text to say this about, but I'm finding it so pulpy and fun and brutal that it was hard to put down. I know that the 2007 movie starring the creepy digital mannequins wasn't "authentic" to the source material, but having the images in my brain of a gigantic monster getting his arm ripped off and subsequently being beaten to death with it really put some neat visuals in my brain.

    Most of the people I know that had read the poem and hated the movie felt that way because of how the movie more or less accuses Beowulf of being an unreliable narrator; I don't want to be the spoiler guy, so I won't say why, but I still think that the ideas about the origins of the dragon are perfectly in line with some of the themes of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite hearing about other students reading Beowulf I have never had an English teacher that studied it. However, I always thought it sounded interesting and wanted to read it. More than anything else, I wanted to read Beowulf because of its historical importance. Last year I bought the Seamus Heaney translation and read that. I do think it is a much more accessible translation than the one in the anthology but I found that reading the poem aloud helped me better appreciate the poem. I think it helped me better understand the story and also I was able to better appreciate the poetic aspects of it from hearing the meter and alliteration. Luckily I lived alone so I didn't bother anyone either! Anyway, I don't know if that will help anyone while reading it but I look forward to discussing it more in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I must have read a modernized version, too. I could have sworn I read it in my mythology class in high school, but while I've been reading it, it has seemed so unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete