Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whom does Malory portray most favorably in "The Poison Apple," Lancelot, Guinevere, or Arthur? Who comes across in the most negative light? Explain using examples.

This story of King Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot is told in so many different ways. The different versions that I've seen haven't portrayed one person as being horrible. One example is the move, First Knight. Just like the movie, after reading "The Poison Apple," Lancelot, in the end, was a hero and loved by all. In my opinion however, he comes across in the most negative light. He's not only having an affair, but he's being unfaithful in his affair with Guinevere. Guinevere definitely takes second place for the most rotten character of the three. She sends Lancelot away for the wrong reason. She should be sending him away because she wants to make things right with King Arthur and her marriage, not because Lancelot is just as rotten as she is.

King Arthur is by far the gem among these three characters. He's been betrayed by both Guinevere and Lancelot and he still shows respect for them both. He never gets revenge or finds some other woman to get hot with. He trusts their words to only get betrayed once again. Though there is nothing negative said about Arthur through out this story, there isn't much said about him at all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to say just the opposite in regards to Lancelot and Guinevere. In my personal opinion I find it more cruel for Guinevere to have sent Lancelot for the wrong reason. I would have respected her decision more if she would have rightly sent Lancelot away to work on her marriage. But I was disappointed as I read she had sent him away because of being "as rotten as she."

    I do agree with Kade in saying that King Arthur is the "hero" in the story. Through betrayal he still understands the importance of respect. But at the same token, I'm going to disagree with Kade and say that I interpreted Malory's description and writings about King Arthur to have been a way for her to recognize him most favorably. I don't think it's necessary for an author to say a lot of things about a person to prove them honorable.

    ReplyDelete