Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Males Romantic Notion

I'm constantly amazed that ancient artifacts and manuscripts hold such modern day value, with lessons for us on the human experience. Obviously with all of our new technologies and our far reaching explorations we still have the same basic human problems and virtues as we did a thousand years ago. Some might say that the story of Beowulf is conflicted because of its use of both pagan rituals and Christian beliefs, but I think this is where the story rings true. Even today Christianity and pagan rituals walk hand and hand; throwing a wedding bouquet, being superstitious about Friday the 13th, and then there is Christmas. Here we celebrate the birth of Christ while simultaneously we enjoy the character of Santa Clause, who like Hrothgar is a gift giver. I felt the story of Beowulf unified Christianity and pagan beliefs more than trying to cause lurking resentments. To me Beowulf represented a hero that respected and gave balance to old traditions, at the same time giving a foundation of freedom for new beliefs.
I'm big on the epic classic hero story. I love battle scenes, villains who are hateful, but interesting. I like how there were many heroes in this story, champions besides Beowulf, again Lord of the Ringesk. Beowulf stood out as a hero more often than the rest because he did not sit back and wait for events to just happen to him; he takes action and chooses to affect the outcome of his own fate.
The end of the story reminded me of another poem, one by Alfred Lord Tennyson named "Ulysses" Ulysses is another war hero who is getting older and is suffering the doldrums of living a normal more sedentary life as a king. He doesn't want to die warm in his bed; he wants to die seeking some kind of adventure... Tennyson writes, " I am a part of all that I have met; yet all experience is an arch wherethrough Gleams that untravelled world, whose margins fades For ever and for ever when I move. How dull it is to pause to make an end, To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!" This reminds me of the lines in Beowulf where it says, " There's no joy in harp-play, glee-wood's gladness, no good hawk swings through hall now, no swift horse tramps at the threshold. Terrible slaughter has carried into darkness many a kindreds of mankind." (2260) even though I think this passage is about the toils of war, I think it also resonates how Beowulf is not ready for a nice quiet life. I think Beowulf has good intentions for his countrymen when he fights the dragon, but at the same time I feel he has that common aspect of a warrior... he wants a death like his comrades before him...he rather die fighting than leave this world in a complacent manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment