Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love that Shakespeare

For me reading Shakespeare is like having a warm blanket wrapped around me, going home, or being in a class with a professor who I've been taught by for three semesters. There is something comforting in the words of Shakespeare because every time I read his work, even if I've read it ten times before I learn something or see something different. This again reminds me of our professor, and how I've been taught something new and intriguing every class I take. The crime is that now he is abandoning us for some place with fresher air and richer soil! I'm sorry Daniel, I'm just having a delayed reaction on hearing that you have a better job offer. I don't blame you, I would go too... Congratulations! I know they will love you there. Be assured though I am truly distraught. I guess I'm being selfish... which brings me back to another reason why I love Shakespeare. You can personalize his creations, as if he gives you your own "Self-substantial fuel". Yes, I know there is a certain meaning he is trying to convey, and a particular muse he writes about, but really you can pick lines out of any sonnet and incorporate it into your own world. I have heard lines used from the same sonnet at extremely different events if it be from a wedding to a funeral. You can say lines from one of his sonnets to your spouse, friend, employer, rival, even your cat and it has a different meaning for each. I don't know if Shakespeare meant for this to happen. He would probably love for people to read his sonnets as a whole and not pick and choose what to see and hear. In fact he would probably role over in his grave if he knew all the things his words have been used for. But he certainly did make his work available for the partaking, every class, hero, villain, romantic and skeptic. He knows how to interact with people and their emotions. Like with me when I was ticked off after hearing about Daniel, I read every single sonnet and then ran into the first few lines of Sonnet 87 which stood out to me Shakespeare writes, " Farewell!! Thou art too dear for my possessing, And like enough thou know'st thy estimate. The charter of thy worth gives thee releasing". Just those few lines help me see the opportunity Daniel has. I know I'm off on a tangent and not sticking to the Prompts, but I had to express how Shakespeare has helped me along with my new found hostility towards a place called Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment