Thursday, February 4, 2010

The relationship in this poem is obviously a destructive one, as a lot of relationships (especially one-sided) and obsessions are. Astrophil cannot do, think, or see anything else but Stella. This causes him constant pain and mourning. Stella, in my opinion, doesn't do much to help this poor man's situation. In Fourth song, you are given the impression that she gives him mixed signals. She says no, while still egging him on a little. Also if you read a bit further than you supposed to (Eighth song) you will see that she doesn't act so "unfeeling" towards him. Also in Fourth Song, you see the destructiveness of the relationship. Astrophil threatens suicide to get a reaction out of Stella:
"Soon with my death I will please thee.
No, no, no, no, my dear, let be."
Yeah, that's healthy.
Love and hate walk a very fine line, especially when those emotions are paired with obsession. I think you see a few undertones of hostile emotion in some areas of the poem.
"Both so and thus, she minding Love should be.
Placed ever there, gave him this mourning weed,
To honor all their deaths, who for her bleed."

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read eighth song until I saw this posting. I was really intrigued that Stella would be sending such mixed signals and so I decided to read Eight Song. I too agree with Doug that her confusion only adds to Astrophil's confused mind, but it does create a stir of emotion that is only created when one is desperate for love or walking the line of obsession. There must be a villain in all stories!

    ReplyDelete