Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Things don't always end so great

In the summary of the play where it lists all the things that Shakespeare changed I was amazed at how smart and developed he really was in this play. I have always believed in happily ever afters because I have seen a few but to be honest those are the things we read in fantasy everyday such as the Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc stories we've heard (not counting the Grim brothers alternate stories which were written first). I think the stories that stick it out through time are those Journeys were things don't end the exact happiest, the way that heals all the big wounds, such as: Frodo doesn't toss the ring into Mount Doom and then later he goes on to leave Sam for another adventure :(, Wendy leaves Peter and Never Never Land so she can grow up instead of being youthful forever (kinda like Eve/Adam), Arthur and his downfall of his kingdom, etc. All's well in justice and hope and in the play I saw justice in the fact that Goneril/Edmund/Cornwall/Regan/Oswald die because they got the karma that caught up to them. And I believe hope was there because Edgar remained alive along with Kent/Albany, the good people that stuck it out. I strongly see the justice and I was satisfied at the end of the play that things had gone the way they were suppose and I had hope too not a feeling of dread. The only downer was that poor Cordy did die but she was invading the kingdom and even though she was in the right I could only see the karma coming out again. Now if Lear and Cordy had lived and been restored to power I believe nothing would have changed, Lear never would have seen the folly in mistreating the poor, the non-humanists thoughts of his, and in believing vanity and appearing to have wealth in family/riches etc was most important when it wasn't. For this sure I could see a happy ending, that didn't have a very important lesson through out the story, but keeping the frankness, truthfulness of the story as a there's not always happy endings works better as one of the greatest plays I've ever read. :D I really liked this play Daniel! Glad you didn't pick one I had read!

No comments:

Post a Comment