Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Attention to detail

I made the mistake of reading the plague prompt while eating my lunch. Let me tell you, that was not a good combination.

Defoe's journalistic tendencies are evidenced throughout his writing but paricularly in his attention to detail that might be considered trivial. It wasn't enough that he informs us of the father leaving money for his family. Defoe goes even further and tells you how much money, where it came from, and how often it is left. Similarly, when he learns of the father's work as a Ferryman has asks after the customers that make use of his services, where they are located and what sort of tasks he preforms for them.
His writing doesn't strike me as being boring in any way. The details may be trivial but they help create this picture that makes me feel like I'm in the moment with him. If I was sitting by watching the scene unfold I hope that I would notice similar details that lend credibility and understanding to the situation.
Defoe is adept at presenting a completely foreign situation in a way that might be understood with very little effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment