Thursday, April 1, 2010

Did curiosity really kill the cat?

Gray has the ability to take a mundane occurrence and portray it as an event. I'm sure that small rodents and felines alike drown every day and no one writes a poem about it. Gray writes of the cat's existence and ultimate demise in words so touching and enlightened that he could be writing about a human. I appreciate that he can see the importance of small events and the beauty of the world as experienced by something so small as a cat.

I feel that much of the what we've been reading has been focused on the viewer or rather on differing views/perspectives. I enjoy this type of writing more because it usually helps me to think about something in a way I normally wouldn't or to see beauty in something that I would generally dismiss.

I especially love how how Gray takes ordinary pieces of life, like the vase, the lake, the gold fish, and gives them poetic beauty through his perspective. He lifts them to a higher plane by viewing them as something more than ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment