Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Chaos of Thought and Passion

My favourite passage of the Essay was the excerpt from the beginning of Epistle II. It seems to be a rather Humanist entry from where I see it. The line "Know then thyself, presume not God to scan; The proper study of mankind is Man" jumped right out at me in this regard. I really enjoy the polarity exhibited by the couplets here - the way each one presents two extremes of human experience side by side. Take, for example, "With too much knowledge for the skeptic side, / With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride", or "Alike in ignorance, his reason such, / Whether he thinks too little, or too much" both present opposing ideas, but paint an intimate picture of the human experience in beautiful language. My favourite line in the poem, however, is "Chaos of thought and passion, all confused; / Still by himself abused, or disabused". I'm not even entirely sure why these lines take me so, but they do. I think I like the juxtoposition of 'chaos' and 'passion' with 'thought'. Usually thought is looked at as a cold, calculated word, whereas chaos and passion are more fiery, unpredictable words, but Pope combines them here to create a beautiful, colourful image of the way we go through such disparate emotions, mental states, and creative realms, and the way we can both hurt ourselves or reach clarity through such exploration and experience.

1 comment:

  1. Jake,

    I have to say one of my favorite passages were excerpts from Epistle II as well. I really like how you said "We can both hurt ourselves or reach clarity through such exploration and experience". I totally agree. Some of my favorite lines were " Love, hope, and joy, fair smilings train/ Hate, fear, and grief the family of pain". It again reminded me of unity,and how we need both struggle and joy to see life in all it's true glory.

    ReplyDelete