Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pro solitude not anti eve

The garden, I feel is more of a pro solitude then misogynistic. “Society is all but rude, to this delicious Solitude.” This summarizes his argument. Not that life without Eve would have been better, but life without anyone would be better. Marvell doesn’t just put this idea out there and let you decide, he continues to drive it home. He puts forth a very logical argument that life is far better when it’s a peaceful existence removed from the chaos and noise of society. Marvell explains that he would much rather be looking at the beautiful trees and enjoying nature “while all flowers and all trees do unite… far quite, have I found thee here” then being entangled with anything that will take away from this bliss. He opens the poem by what I understand to be his signature, “How vainly men themselves amaze” shows Marvell’s idea that he only needs solitude to be really happy. Likewise in lines 20 through 24 he exclaims “Cut in these trees their mistress’ name. Little, alas, they know, or heed, How far these beauties hers exceed!” obviously I can see were the anti women/ eve argument comes in but I personally feel the poem is pro solitude.

2 comments:

  1. Brad,
    I agree with you about the poem being more pro solitude. For me the "Garden" reminded me a little of George Herbert's " The Pulley". The give and take features. In the garden are these surrounding gifts that have been given, yet man chose not hold on to it because of Eve... something else God had given him. I really don't think he is blaming Eve or women, for changing that peaceful lifestyle. It felt more that human nature, or that the outside world will eventually consume mans happy place. For me it was more about the interruptions of life,that man is having a hard time finding a place and the time to reflect and enjoy life. I didn't feel it was misogynistic, because many people, both men and women feel that need to be alone. I also liked that you sought out this poem to talk about when most us seem to be trying our hands at Herrick's poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had the impression that it was more about man's/womman's solitude rather than man looking down on woman for disturbing him. This introduces the idea that nature and the beauties of God are enough for man without the company of others. I can't imagine that sort of peaceful solitude but I'm sure it would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete