Thursday, March 25, 2010

Peeps are Peeps

I guess my reaction to Pope isn't as enamorous as others. I enjoyed reading what he had to say but to me his writing came off kind of arrogant. I still find it amazing that someone tried to write and poem condensing the condition of man into a few pages. However, I would like to build on what Launi had to say about the analytical nature of essays and line that Jake already pointed to "the proper study of mankind is man." It seems that nothing rings truer with humanity in literature than examples of real people. After reading this poem I realized that I would much rather see specific characters than see someone lecture on people. I just don't think I am ever going to find one person that I would trust enough to explain all of humanity to me, but when a person shows me characters that he/she has encountered, he/she takes a part of the wisdom of many people with him, beyond what he/she can put into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment