Monday, March 22, 2010

Children are delicious

What better way to get your point across, then by proposing to eat children? Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal is definitely a satire because of the sarcastic, even ridiculous, idea of literally using the poor to feed the rich. It is a piece of literature that would definitely draw the attention of those who oppressed Ireland and its people, but also get a very valid point across. After all, such a horrific plan would truly be preposterous in nature, yet the hidden message is clearly aimed at England, and what the country had already been doing: killing the poor by neglect; by cutting off their trade and by forcing them into the streets. Also, by hiding his sadism in a plan that only a madman would propose, no one would dare cause trouble with Swift for fear of showing agreement or disagreement to his words. It is literary genius, and rhetoric at its best. His craziness allows him to keep his head--well, implied craziness, craziness for a good purpose.

Although, it is disgusting to think of such a thing as raising and plumping children for meat and economic redemption, it was a necessary step for important social change. The intense and appalling description and elaboration of feeding on humans force the reader to almost say, "Please, stop, I get it already. Flaying a child, eating one as venison steak. Enough!" but Swift drives the point home. He rubs England's face in their misdeeds by nonchalantly suggesting to eat the Irish riffraff, and then explain the benefits. He says

Those who are more thrifty (as I must confess the times require) may flay the carcass [of the child], the skin of which, artificially dressed, will make admirable gloves for ladies and summer boots for fine gentlemen. (2433)

Swift is basically showing two important points, one, the other possible use of children (instead of the waste of them dying in the streets), and two, visualizing the unfortunate and wrong treatment of the poor by comparing them to cattle; if they are so poor that they are worse off than livestock, then there is nothing else for which they are good. If England disagreed then they would be looking into the eyes of their own hypocrisy, or if they agreed with his words--well, if they agreed then they would be equally damned. Even though the subject matter is gruesome and taboo, the eloquent words and parallel imagery of food and money to that of edible children cannot be overlooked or forgotten. I, in fact, don't know if I can look at my own children without Swift's ideas creeping into my head (I'm joking). I shiver at the thought.

1 comment:

  1. I was confused at the end of the text of what to feel but you actually covered everything I was thinking. I was very concerned, yet appalled, and at the same time a little sad because I didn't exactly get the ideas and benefits of those ideas that Swift was spouting. But now I get it a lot more, because I didn't even think about the societies reaction to this, in that time period. I just thought...well....ugh/ew....what? :D but your ideas helped a lot to clarify and kind of make the ideas clearer to me ha-ha thanks!! Good Blog!

    ReplyDelete