Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Like Sarah, I too thought of Dr. Faustus while reading. However, for me, it was lines 249-250 that caught my attention. "The mind is its own place, and in itself/Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n."
Satan uses his fall from heaven as an advantage, you could say. He decides to make the best of it and instead of wallowing in misery, he's going to try and take mankind down with him. (Though, obviously he's still going to be miserable.)
The most intriguing line for me was 263. "Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n." This is a good example of how sly and smart Satan is, and shows how easy he can turn evil into an appealing thing. Wouldn't it be nice if we got to rule, instead of serve? I know my life would be less stressful. This line also shows a quality in Satan that is actually, to me at least, considered a great quality. Unfailing determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment