Thursday, March 25, 2010

I am friends with the members of some local bands. When I was reading lines 337-393, I was reminded of an incident when my friend was criticizing one of these bands. She said that the lines in his songs were too predictable. "They ring round the same unvaried chimes,/With sure returns of still expected rhymes (lines 348-349) . . . And raise the easy vigor of a line (line 360)." Not to say that he wasn't musically talented, but his "voice is all these tuneful fools admire (340)." The interesting thing is that she still owned their cd and attended their concerts. I think she believed more that "True ease in writing comes from art, not chance (Line 362)" This band didn't last, but I still enjoy listening to a few of their songs from time to time. I guess Pope was right when he said "Dullness is ever apt to magnify (line 393)"

No comments:

Post a Comment