Thursday, March 25, 2010

Critic's Choice

I have a family member who is in the process of becoming a Literary Critic. She is not only family, but one of my best friends; I go to her for all my questions and concerns. I find her mental gymnastics amazing, therefore I usually take her word as truth. A week ago we were talking and I mentioned to her that I would be reading Alexander Pope. I am paraphrasing, but she told me that Pope was profound for history's sake ,but that his writings were tedious and dull. So I got myself all ready to just plow through the assigned reading, and that would be that. As I was reading Pope I found myself struck with such reverent emotion. It was if he was talking directly at me and addressing questions I have been trying to break through lately. I now have an awe-inspiring admiration for this man, he is my new favorite genius. I was about to call my mentor up and tell her she didn't know what the hell she was talking about, but as I read An Essay on Criticism I decided on a different tactic. I will still be telling her that she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about, but just in a more fair and refined manner. Maybe I'll say something from lines 9-16 where it states, " In poets as true genius is but rare/ True taste as seldom is the critic's share/ Both must alike from Heav'n derive their light".

1 comment:

  1. I think it is very probable that there is something in Pope's writing for everyone, especially if you aren't looking for it. I love it when something you read speaks to you and answers the questions of life that have been simmering, waiting for an answer.

    ReplyDelete