Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Herrick Rolling Over

OK... so I would have to agree that Herrick might role over in his grave for us rewriting his poem, even though I think what others have written is actually really good. My thoughts on the other hand were not so good. I know for a fact that Daniel will give me the new found insight to the endearing sentimentality of this poem, but all I saw when I read this poem was fashion, lust, sex and a rap song. Not that I'm going to suddenly create a rap song, but I will say what song it reminded me of... If Herrick didn't role over in his grave before, I'm sure he will now,it reminded me of the song by Flo Rida



"Shawty had them apple bottom jeans
boots with the fur
the whole club was lookin at her
she hit the flo
next thing you know
Shawty got low low low low low low low."



For me Herrick's poem changes the tide of romance, he shows love has become more material,with consintrating on cloths. Even though the poem tends to create feelings that there is more to Julia than her silks and satins; that what truely sends him is what lay hidden from the eye.


1 comment: